Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Her husband needs a job ....

A Yahoo News story today described a San Francisco woman who created myhusbandneedsajob.com to find work for her unemployed, newly-MBA-degreed spouse. It's the 21st century equivalent of standing on a street corner with a "I need a job" sign around your neck, only the Internet is the street corner.

I have mixed feelings about this.

First, she put together a good site. It's a serious effort, and it describes his qualifications very well.

Second, I have no doubt Mr. and Mrs. Husband are both looking for a job for him. Instead of the URL "myhusband," it should really be "his name" so that it looks more like he's in charge of his own job search. However, she probably thought "myhusbandneedsajob" would get them more attention, and she's right. Their blog says Oprah has called them.

And finally, as a single person, I have to admit I'm a little jealous that I don't have a supportive spouse or significant other who would be willing to run a web site like this for me. Not that I couldn't do it myself.

No comments: